County Unveils Construction Plans; New Gym, Library Expansion and Road Improvements Slated for Westchase
A public hearing will be held on Thursday to discuss these projects in downtown Tampa.
Westchase and neighboring northwest Hillsborough County communities will benefit from added recreational facilities and road improvements under the county's proposed capital improvement plan.
The plan will be presented and discussed at a public hearing on Thursday, Sept. 22 at 6pm.The plan reveals construction plans for public buildings, amenities, and roads throughout the county from 2012-2017.
Some projects that will affect Westchase include:
- A 10,000 square foot multi-purpose gym expansion at the Westchase Recreation Center, to accommodate basketball, volleyball and other organized indoor activities.
- Linebaugh Avenue (from Racetrack Road to Countryway Blvd) widening project. The 1.38 mile segment would go from a 2-lane undivided to a 4-lane divided roadway.
- Design and construction of an 11,000 square foot expansion to
the Upper Tampa Bay Regional Library together with interior
renovations and associated site work.
- A 4.2 mile paved addition to the Upper Tampa Bay Trail to include restrooms, landscaping, trail amenities and a 123 space parking lot to accommodate trail users. The project will extend the existing
42-mile Suncoast Trail from its southern terminus on Lutz-Lake
Fern Road southwest.
- Property purchase for an expansion of Keystone Park to accommodate an expansion of the recreation program and youth sports programs.
- A widening of Race Track Road between Hillsborough Avenue and
Douglas Road from a 2-lane to a 6-lane divided roadway.
To learn more about these projects, price and completion date plan to attend the upcoming public hearing to discuss the county's capital improvement program. Public comment is welcomed and encouraged:
When: Thursday, Sept. 22 at 6 p.m.
Where: Frederick B. Karl County Center, second floor, 601 E. Kennedy Blvd. in downtown Tampa.
A detailed listing of the projects included in the program is available for review at the Hillsborough County Business and Support Services Department, located on the 26th Floor of Frederick B. Karl County Center, 601 E. Kennedy Blvd., in Tampa, Florida; or by clicking on the above link or by visiting http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/managementbudget/budgets/recommended/fy12/home.cfm