Teacher of the Year Finalists To Be Named This Week
On Friday, Jan. 18, the finalists for Hillsborough County’s 2013 Teacher of the Year are scheduled to be announced with “surprise patrol” visits at their schools. Here’s the list of contenders from Hillsborough’s public schools.
Who will get surprise visits this week at work, signifying their selection as finalists for the 2013 Teacher of the Year award in Hillsborough County?
According to Roselle Cronan, marketing manager for the Hillsborough Education Foundation, "surprise patrols" are set to visit schools Jan. 18 to announce this year's Teacher of the Year finalists.
In contention for the honor are Teacher of the Year award recipients at each of Hillsborough's public schools.
What To Know About Hillsborough's Teacher Of The Year Program
- The annual Teacher of the Year Award program starts with nominees at each of Hillsborough’s public schools, which leads to the selection of one top teacher at each school.
- In turn, those teachers become the nominees for the district’s list of finalists.
- “All schools in the district are invited to nominate one teacher at their site whom they feel is the most well-rounded and professional,” according to a notice posted on the Hillsborough Education Foundation website. “Finalists are selected by a district committee and individually interviewed. One winner is then selected for the prestigious honor of being named Hillsborough County’s Teacher of the Year.”
- The district’s top teacher goes on to compete for Florida State Teacher of the Year.
- The state’s top teacher then enters the national Teacher of the Year contest.
- Yolanda Whitehead Driskell, a teacher at Hillsborough High School, was named the 2012 Teacher of the Year.
- Cynthia Folsom Crim, a teacher at Palm River Elementary, was named the 2011 Teacher of the Year.
- Emily Marrero, a teacher at Philip Shore Elementary School, earned the honor in 2010.
- Cleveland Elementary School teacher Megan Allen in 2009 won not only Hillsborough’s Teacher of the Year award, but also advanced as a finalist in the National Teacher of the Year contest by earning the state’s top-teacher title.