In this age of high-tech gadgets, WiFi, iPads, and Bluetooth, it's getting harder and harder to really "get away from it all." After a visit to an All-Inclusive Resort in Mexico, I didn't talk about all the fun things I DID. Instead, I told everyone about the things I DIDN'T do:
Things I DIDN'T Do On My Vacation
* want to take a nap
* take any Ibuprofen
* take any antacids
* worry about how I looked in my bathing suit
* worry about the calories in the food I was eating
* think about my house
* think about the PTA, school, or any Committee meetings
* look at my watch
* wear a watch
* shy away from trying to learn some Spanish
* watch any TV
* listen to my Ipod
* check my email
* read anything other than a menu
* turn on my phone
* bring my phone
* send any text messages
* stress in any way, shape, or form
* look at the Weather Channel
* watch any movies
* clean anything
* cook anything
* worry about being embarrassed at the spa
* worry about my kids having a good time
* worry about my kids drowning
* worry about my kids eating the "right" foods
* worry about how many Mojitos I'd had
* worry about the Swine Flu
All vacations should be so good. Seriously.
Truly...all vacations should be that good. When was the last time you didn't watch TV? When was the last time you didn't turn your phone on - at all? How wonderful would it be to know that your kids are having a BLAST, are safe, and are well-supervised?
The defining moment on that vacation was when our family was in the pool at the resort and my father-in-law asked "What time is it anyway?" We had no idea. No one knew. No one cared. THAT'S what I call a VACATION!
I think there is some real value is disconnecting from our hectic lives now and then. Maybe it's just for a few days...maybe for a week. I know my entire family benefitted from it physically and mentally. We really did "get away from it all", and we can't wait to do it again.
Now it's time for YOU to build your own list of "Things You Didn't Do On Vacation"!