We preach sun protection at spa50. We also know, this is Florida and sometimes we get more sun with less than adequate protection.
If you find yourself experiencing some heat, courtesy of a sunburn, here are five simple do-it-yourself sunburn remedies:
1. Good ole aloe! Cut a few leaves from an aloe plant and chill in the refrigerator. Split the leaf open and rub the fleshy part over the burn.
2. Old fashioned oats. Stir 2 cups in a tepid bath and soak for 15 minutes. This is messy but works as a great anti-inflammatory.
3. Lemons are an excellent disinfectant and pain reliever. Juice three lemons and combine with two cups of cold water. Soak a wash cloth and apply to the burned area.
4. Milk (and it needs to be the lactic kind). Soak a cloth in the milk and apply to the sunburned area. It’s the lactic acid that reduces swelling.
5. Baking soda to help cool and moisturize the sunburned skin. Mix 2 tablespoons in one cup of cool water. Soak a sponge and apply directly to the sunburn.
We probably don't have to tell you after experiencing a sunburn, but next time you're out, use a broad spectrum, waterproof sunblock with an SPF of at least 15!
Speaking of sunscreen, the entire month of August is "Credit for Crap" month at The Body Bar in Westchase. For the entire month of August, bring in your cheaper sunscreen and receive a $15.00 credit towards a SkinCeuticals sunscreen of your choice. Quantities limited, so hurry in soon! Body Bar is located at 11013 Countryway Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33626. Call: 813-814-1202.