Whether you’re heading into Ybor City tomorrow morning to hear President Barack Obama speak or you need to be down that way on business, there’s some news you need to know.
The city of Tampa has announced that traffic congestion is anticipated from about 6:30 a.m. until noon – at least – throughout Ybor on Thursday, Oct. 25, as the President makes his way to town on his “America Forward!” tour.
The rally takes place at 1800 E. 8th Ave. in Centennial Park. Security gates open to ticketholders at 7 a.m., and the president is expected to speak around 9 a.m.
City officials, according to a media release, anticipate the heaviest congestion in the area between 15th and 21st Streets from north of Seventh Avenue to south of Palm Avenue. Both Palm and Seventh avenues will remain open throughout the event.
Obama Rally Street Closings
The following streets will be closed to traffic starting at 4 a.m. Oct. 25:
- Ninth Avenue between 17th Street and 19th Street
- Angel Oliva Sr. (18th) Street from Palm Avenue to Seventh Avenue
- 19th Street from Palm Avenue to Seventh Avenue
- Eighth Avenue between 17th Street and 20th Street
Streets should reopen by 10:30 a.m.
Parking Lot and Garage Information
The following parking lots will be closed during the event:
- City Parking Lot No. 5, between Angel Oliva Street and 19th Street
- City Parking Lot No. 6, between 19th and 20th Street
Both lots will be closed for use until noon.
The following garages will be open for public use during the rally:
- Centro Ybor Parking Garage
- Fernando Noriega Parking Garage
Park and Ride
The Hillsborough Area Regional Transit Authority will not be offering special park-and-ride services strictly for the rally, according to Marcia Mejia, HART’s spokeswoman.
For more information on Tampa parking lots, garages and rates, visit the city’s website.